Temple Or Elohim (300 Families) Jericho, NY
Solo Rabbi, July 2017 – June 2018
- Crafted personalized lifecycle rituals for baby namings, weddings, recommitment ceremonies, bnei mitzvah, funerals, and unveilings.
- Taught adult education classes on Torah, middot (Jewish values), and holiday customs.
- Organized guest speaker series covering immigration, racism, and anti-Semitism.
- Designed and implemented engaging lesson plans for students in grades K-6, infusing Jewish values through song-leading with guitar, hands-on learning, and discussion.
- Created innovative programs for busy families with the Familyhood Committee.
- Partnered with the Interfaith Council to bring together Christian, Muslim and Jewish teens to break for a relationship-building event and Ramadan break-fast.
- Created organizational systems to boost communication between staff members, enabling us to better address congregant needs.
Temple Emanu-El (140 Families) Utica, NY
Solo Rabbi, 2011-2017
- Fostered meaningful relationships with hundreds of Jews, through one-on-one meetings, Havdalah dinners, house meetings, pastoral visits, and home hospitality.
- Revitalized the adult education committee, by mentoring leaders, inspiring new offerings, and expanding the scope of the committee’s work.
- Oversaw a multi-tiered focus on welcoming the stranger, with text study, speakers, volunteer opportunities, advocacy work, fundraisers, and family involvement.
- Taught classes including Bagels and Torah, Israel, Sacred eating, ethics, intro Judaism, Biblical Hebrew, Adult Bnei Mitzvah, Pirkei Avot, and civil discourse.
- Rejuvenated youth outreach, education and offerings for children of all ages through tot shabbat, family services, family playgroups, PJ library, and trips.
- Implemented a parents’ coffee hour during religious school.
- Designed religious school curriculum, with family learning opportunities, including a bnei mitzvah course, which culminated in a hike up a metaphorical Mount Sinai.
- Led intergenerational trip to Israel, with 22 participants.
- Spearheaded a visioning campaign to refocus congregational goals in alignment with the changing landscape of Utica Jewry.
- Reinvigorated worship through thoughtful musical selections and guitar, and the creation of a temple band.
- Served on the steering committees for the Jewish Community Federation of Utica, the Reform Jewish Voice, and the Interfaith Coalition of Greater Utica.
- Frequently spoke at prayer breakfasts, interfaith events, churches, and rallies in support of Refugees, Planned Parenthood, racial justice, and LGTBQ rights.
- Co-Founded InterFaith Matters, a group committed to community dialogue, text study, and social justice work to support the welfare of the diverse Utica population.
- Cultivated relationships with political leaders in the area. Served on the steering committee of Utica Empire State Poverty Reduction Initiative (ESPRI).
- Participated in America’s Journey for Justice, Summer 2015.
Jewish Home Lifecare Nursing Home New York, NY
Rabbinic Intern, 2010-2011
- Partnered with clergy to create meaningful Shabbat services, with careful consideration for the needs, desires, and abilities of residents and their families.
- Provided pastoral care in individual and communal settings.
Crane Lake Camp Stockbridge, MA
Faculty, Summer 2016
Wandering Jews of AstoriaAstoria, NY
Founder and Leader, 2009-2011
- Co-founded a minyan for Jews in their 20s and 30s. Beginning with monthly services and potlucks of in our homes, the group has now expanded to include social and holiday events, with a membership base of over 400 people.
Hebrew Union College Soup KitchenNew York, NY
Volunteer Coordinator, 2008-2010
Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion New York, NY
Masters in Hebrew Literature, April 2010
Smikha (Rabbinic Ordination), May 2011
Thesis Topic: Ritualization of Self and Other: Purim as a Coping Mechanism
URJ’s “Engaging Families with Young Children” Community of Practice training, 2012-2013
Jewish Funds for Justice: community organizing training, Fall 2010
American Jewish World Service: Rabbinical Student Delegation to Mexico, January 2010
Presbyterian-Weill Cornell HospitalNew York, NY
One unit of Clinical Pastoral Education, Summer 2009
University of HartfordWest Hartford, CT
Bachelors of Arts in Philosophy, Religious Studies minor, May 2004